Wyrick Lumber Company was founded in August of 1937 in Atoka, Oklahoma. It was originally named Crews-Wyrick Lumber. The founding partners were Ira Crew, Robert E. Wyrick, and Brown Wyrick.
Ira Crews was the owner of several lumber yards in the Tulsa area. R.E Wyrick was the general manager of The Lingo-Leeper sawmill and planer mill in Stringtown. Brown was a recent high school
graduate and the son of R.E. Wyrick. Brown was the managing partner from the beginning as was given a $10,000.00 budget to build, stock, and finance the business.
Brown ran the company continuously from 1937 until 1992 except for a two-year service in the Navy during World War II. R.E. and Brown purchased Ira Crews share in 1948 and the name was changed to Wyrick Lumber Company. When R.E. passed away in 1954 his wife Nova and Brown ran the store as partners until 1976 when the company was incorporated and Brown’s son Bob joined the ownership team after graduating from college. The business steadily grew until in 1978 they purchased 10 acres on the west edge of Atoka on Highway 7 for future expansion and soon thereafter began dirt work.
In November of 1980, Wyrick’s opened at their new location. They moved into a 28,000 sq ft showroom facility and modern yard layout designed to handle semi- trailer trucks rather than wagons and teams. Brown and Bob continued to grow the business until Bob purchased Brown’s interest in 1992. At that time a thirteen year-old starting taking an interest on the store. He was Bob’s son Eddie. During the 1990’s and 2000’s Bob continued to modernize operations, expand facilities, and grow the sales of the company while Eddie was learning the business.
Fast forward to today and Bob is semi-retired while Eddie oversees day to day operations at the helm of the company. Looking to grow their business, the Wyricks purchased another location in Hugo, OK in December of 2013. This new location on the West side of Hugo (formerly Hugo Sash & Door) will enable Wyrick Lumber Company to better do what they’ve been striving to do since 1937, through four generations, provide their customers with the best building materials, at the best prices, with the best customer service of any lumberyard in the area.